PakRatJR

LG Repair service? G4 paper weighted itself today

Has anyone used LGs repair service for a out of warenty phone? Or any thoughts about trying them?

Phone is two years and two months old. Have been having the odd issues for maybe a month or so like aftermarket launcher stopping occasionally and double tap to wake seeming not work reliably anymore but otherwise phone has been fine. Using it over lunch today no problem, came back to it two hours later and it was off. Won't power back on ??? Tried a new battery when I got home along with the charger and even plugging in to my computer.....nothing...

Not a dang thing >=(:-[ 

Dug out my G3 and ran to the store to get it back up so I have a phone, but now I don't know what to do with the G4. 

I am going to assume it is out of warranty and would have to pay LG for repairs, and I am not real keen on them having to wipe the data as I haven't been able to do my weekly backup lately and kinda have a few things I really don't want to loose.

I got a card from the dude at the store for a guy that does repairs and possible data recovery. I will try him tomorrow for kicks but I am wondering if it might be cheaper/better money wise just to send it LG and live with the lost data.

Any thoughts on things?

Thanks

I actually JUST dealt with a similar issue with a G4, I pulled the battery and put it right back, powered it on fine. However, for the previous 2-3 hours it wouldn't respond to anything, not plugged in or power button, nothing - dead. Something must have been funky because just a quick battery pull made it work again.

As for recovery, if it has a knock code or other password protection, I doubt it could ever be recovered by anyone other than LG.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I actually JUST dealt with a similar issue with a G4, I pulled the battery and put it right back, powered it on fine. However, for the previous 2-3 hours it wouldn't respond to anything, not plugged in or power button, nothing - dead. Something must have been funky because just a quick battery pull made it work again.

As for recovery, if it has a knock code or other password protection, I doubt it could ever be recovered by anyone other than LG.

Thanks Rub. I will try it again when I get home tonight. I keep hoping it would just be some fluke thing and it will start working again

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk

Me too, let me know. I also have professional data recovery tools and software should you need it (I can provide temp use copies also)

if the data is on a SD card then it's easier, if not then it might be trickier but not impossible.

After more messing with things, still no joy in getting it to power up =( Connecting to the computer it isn't even recognized as being connected. My pictures at least are thankfully all on my sd card so no worries their but I think it is pretty safe to assume the phone made its way to the great electronics pile in the sky =(=(

I would assume that any kind of recovery would be dependent on it at least being recognized by other hardware? If my computer don't know it's connected, software I'm guessing will probably not be able to do anything.

As a side note, It has been a couple years since I used my G3, but I don't seem to remember it feeling kind of slow and jittery.  ???;D Not horrible per say, but noticeable now after using the G4 for a couple years lol. ;D;D  

My wife's G4S just turned itself is this morning while lying in bed and using it. It almost turned back on - the wallpaper came up - but no lockscreen. It was unresponsive and then just shut off for the last time.

No big deal I thought. I figured I'd just do a battery pull. No love. Plugged it in, no love, no vibration, no LED. I've held the power button for 60 seconds, nothing. I've tried booting to fasboot or recovery with both the battery in and battery out - nothing. She's about as dead as they come!

Did a quick Google search and apparently thousands of them are dying like this right now!!! LG must have built in a self destruct mode.

... I'm serious. Why else would hundreds and hundreds of phones stop working between July and August of 2017? Bizarr-o

9 hours ago, HikingMoose said:

My wife's G4S just turned itself is this morning while lying in bed and using it. It almost turned back on - the wallpaper came up - but no lockscreen. It was unresponsive and then just shut off for the last time.

No big deal I thought. I figured I'd just do a battery pull. No love. Plugged it in, no love, no vibration, no LED. I've held the power button for 60 seconds, nothing. I've tried booting to fasboot or recovery with both the battery in and battery out - nothing. She's about as dead as they come!

Did a quick Google search and apparently thousands of them are dying like this right now!!! LG must have built in a self destruct mode.

... I'm serious. Why else would hundreds and hundreds of phones stop working between July and August of 2017? Bizarr-o

LOL I actually kind of had that same thought about a self destruct mode. ;D This is the first phone I actually bought new full price day of launch and also the first phone that has ever just up and quit on me. 

Known issue with the G4 just dying. It's a hardware issue. if you do a Google search you will find info on it.

Known issue with the G4 just dying. It's a hardware issue. if you do a Google search you will find info on it.
The question is, will LG do anything to make it right? It's out of warranty, but a phone should last more than 400 days! All of my other devices - several are older - still work fine.

The question is, will LG do anything to make it right? It's out of warranty, but a phone should last more than 400 days! All of my other devices - several are older - still work fine.

I had that thought also. I am still not sure if I want to try to send mine in for repair or just buy a new one off ebay. Not sure what would be cheaper/easier/faster at this point.

Sent from my LGUS990 using Tapatalk