Sign in to follow this  
Atheist Antichrist

Virus'?

So I've spoken to people who will swear that their phone (has/has had) a virus. Is this really a thing? I have never gotten a virus on an android device. I keep an AV handy as it is better to err on the side of caution, but I have never seen it detect anything. Are AV programs really necessary on android?

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

It's not really a thing no. Anybody who says that simply doesn't understand something that's going on with the phone.

There is the extremely rare off-chance that if somebody had a rooted phone and an APK that had been modified into some form of malware or virus but was designed to imposter a legitimate app that was given Superuser permission by the user - then yes in that scenario of virus could be a thing. However in all my years, I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening to anyone.

But for 99.99% of instances where somebody says that it means, precisely, nothing.

As for antivirus programs for a phone they are completely and utterly useless if you have a stock device. If you're rooted and use alternative apps or hacked apps, then they could be of use, but still, I've had a rooted device for going on ten years now and I sometimes use illegitimate apps and have never found the need for one and I've never had anything happen.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's not really a thing no. Anybody who says that simply doesn't understand something that's going on with the phone.

There is the extremely rare off-chance that if somebody had a rooted phone and an APK that had been modified into some form of malware or virus but was designed to imposter a legitimate app that was given Superuser permission by the user - then yes in that scenario of virus could be a thing. However in all my years, I've never seen it happen or heard of it happening to anyone.

But for 99.99% of instances where somebody says that it means, precisely, nothing.

As for antivirus programs for a phone they are completely and utterly useless if you have a stock device. If you're rooted and use alternative apps or hacked apps, then they could be of use, but still, I've had a rooted device for going on ten years now and I sometimes use illegitimate apps and have never found the need for one and I've never had anything happen.

My experience reflects yours more or less. I use to argue the point with people, but they are quite certain they've been infected. I have never, ever, ever seen a phone I suspected of actually having a virus, but am glad to have my perspective reinforced.

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk

Yup. I had a lady who swore her phone was hacked by someone and whoever that someone was was taking control of the phone and doing things remotely, like changing settings, setting lock codes and passwords, making calls and even talking to her through the phone. It was, hands down, the single most crazy thing I'd ever heard of happening.

After looking at it for 3 mins it's lock code was set and it was impossible to get around it without wiping it, which she absolutely refused to do. This was an Apple iPhone 6S, Apple told her that she needed to have her Apple ID and password in order to reset the phone so that it can be used which she "did not create and does not know what it could be". Lol.

So she got a different phone, an S6, exactly the same thing happened. Exact same thing. (Wow)

Except with Sammy it's IMPOSSIBLE to bypass the lock unless you know the Samsung account that locked it, which she "didn't make" and "didn't set up" - so the 4 day old S6 was rendered useless all of my efforts to get a working phone we're in vain.

Yeah... That was the weirdest one. She insisted she had nothing to do with it however I know that what she claimed happened is not even possible so....