Sign in to follow this  
dBuster

To switch or not

Question

To switch to the new iPhone 8 or not?

Any input? I don't see any Android devices going anywhere except Samsung and I refuse to go that route again.

Right now we can upgrade for $12 a month to get the iPhone 8. Well there be anything better for promotions? We won't know will we..

I guessed if we switch to another carrier we could get free ones but why go through that hassle.

So the iPhone 8 or not. Is it a good device? We are not rooters or modders just wanting good devices.

5 answers to this question

In total truth - it seems to be a pretty impressive device. All around. The camera, storage, os, etc...

Only major exception is the screen resolution, that's pretty garbage IMO for >$1000 - that alone would convince me to skip it. The Galaxy S3 had a higher resolution on a smaller screen.

If that isn't important, then there is no other reason it wouldn't be a totally pleasing device.

I'm not an iOS fan, either, but given the Android options I'm also somewhat considering iOS. There is only really the Pixel 2, and the price tag on that is not exactly on par with 2017 device spec expectations - meaning there's better devices with lower prices but you sacrifice all the freedom that comes with Pixel.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I'm honestly no impressed with the Apple Galaxy S8, I mean Samsung iPhone 8... you get my drift. Apple is doing things competitors have been doing for years finally, and using tech from other big names...*cough* retina display *cough*

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

With our son in second grade now using iPads at school, and having an iPad here at home, only makes sense in some weird way of thinking to keep with one type or variety of OS. Hell, I am even thinking of ditching the Microsoft Windows 10 laptop as every time we go to use it we wait for updates to apply before we can do anything. Going with an apple laptop as well.

Back to the iPhone 8, ya I read about the screen resolution but you know I don't watch much 4k video on a portable device so would it be a show stopper... I don't think so. My major thing now pay the extra to go with 256gb or just 64gb... I do have the 1tb cloud storage now so photos and videos would upload there and not take up space on the device. As far as the screens being cluttered I could organize in folders or move all but the most used to the other screens, if it is like the iPad we have.

Plus right now the plus 64gb is only $12 a month and the 256gb is $15 and change. Way cheaper than the iPhone 7... Only thing that stinks is because we have xpe's we would have to go in to a store as the online doesn't register the xpe's so it doesn't register upgrade capability. Silly web portal.

I went with my wife to upgrade her S4 last night...  I haven't been in a USC store since my last upgrade about two years ago.  Wow...  They are REALLY pushing the iPhones.  I guess I didn't realize how little of a presence Motorola and LG have in those stores.  They didn't have the Pixel or a Nexus device at all on display.

My contract is up next month... Honestly, there's nothing out there that really wows me... I want nothing to do with the S7, and the S8 isn't really much of a leap as far as real world performance over the S6 that I have now.  I'm not an iOS person at all, but honestly, I don't see any real-world difference in performance.   The under the hood specs of the iPhone 8 seem much better, but unless you're a 14 year old playing intense FPS games on your phone, nobody will ever know it.

If your devices are working fine, I'd suggest waiting until another generation of devices, or at least until the current generation comes down in price.  There's no way there will be enough of a performance boost to justify spending $700-$1000 on the current crop.

So here is the fine print they don't print regarding the cheap price...

From Facebook

U.S. Cellular

Hi David. The qualifying phones for the iPhone upgrade offer include iPhone 6 or better, Galaxy 6 or better and LG G6 or better. Without a qualifying phone, the cost would be $23.30 per month for 30 months. ^Jeff

5 hours ago ·