soulweeper

Good equivalent of the Moto X Pure

I love my Moto X Pure, and it's having a volume issue, where when the phone volume is all the way up, and I tap my finger on the back, it goes up louder. Thinking it's a short or something. Keeping my eyes open for another new one, but they're hard to find, without an outrageous price. Anyway......what is a newer unlocked Motorola that is just as good?

Thanks, in advance!

"On paper" they appear to be very similar.  My wife also has the Moto X 2015 (with a slowly failing battery), and I've also thought about getting one of the G5s.  Should have bought when they had the $50 off the newer G5s a couple of weeks ago.

Specs compare:  https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Motorola-Moto-G5-Plus,Motorola-Moto-X-Pure-Edition-2015,Motorola-Moto-G5S-Plus/phones/10398,9694,10597

Yeah, they seem fairly similar. Slightly smaller screen, lesser quality camera, which isn't a super big deal. Pure does have a good camera. But more RAM on the G5, and slightly better processor. Still uses Gorilla Glass, which is nice.

My wife had a moto g4+ until the battery failed, so I got her the g5+ as a replacement. She loves it! It's snappy, battery life is terrific, and the fit and finish is pretty good.

I think the camera on her g4 took better pictures, but it's passable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, phalkon30 said:

My wife had a moto g4+ until the battery failed, so I got her the g5+ as a replacement. She loves it! It's snappy, battery life is terrific, and the fit and finish is pretty good.

I think the camera on her g4 took better pictures, but it's passable.

Thank you for the feedback! I love my Pure, and it's a well built phone, but this seems like a reasonable replacement, unless I find a new Pure at a decent price, which is hard.

I would also take into account security updates, I doubt your pure will get a fix for the latest wifi and Bluetooth vulnerabilities, while a newer phone will.

2 minutes ago, phalkon30 said:

I would also take into account security updates, I doubt your pure will get a fix for the latest wifi and Bluetooth vulnerabilities, while a newer phone will.

I just got the Nougat update the other day, just haven't installed it yet. I have no problem with my Pure. It's a solid phone, and if I can find another new one at a decent price, I will get it, but the G5 does look like a good option, if I don't.

The Nougat update for the Moto X Pure 2015 does not include security fixes for the most recent major Bluetooth and WiFi vulnerabilities.  These vulnerabilities were discovered after the Nougat update was released.

Edited by BoгИX

15 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

The Nougat update for the Moto X Pure 2015 does not include security fixes for the most recent major Bluetooth and WiFi vulnerabilities.  These vulnerabilities were discovered after the Nougat update was released.

Ah.....ok. Thank you. I did not know that.

Can you tell me if this phone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW9P0H4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#Ask

can be unlocked and used on the USCC network?

35 minutes ago, soulweeper said:

Ah.....ok. Thank you. I did not know that.

Can you tell me if this phone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW9P0H4/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER#Ask

can be unlocked and used on the USCC network?

It cannot.  The first-gen Moto Z family has 2 variants:  GSM Unlocked and Verizon.  No Sprint or USCC at all.

2 minutes ago, BoгИX said:

It cannot.  The first-gen Moto Z family has 2 variants:  GSM Unlocked and Verizon.  No Sprint or USCC at all.

EDIT: I deleted what I originally posted, as you answered it with your previous post. :)

Edited by soulweeper

Most likely.  See the link in my post just above yours, we posted at the same time and you might have missed it.  The G5 isn't on the list, but as long as it's got the same network connectivity as the Pure it will work.

Just now, BoгИX said:

Most likely.  See the link in my post just above yours, we posted at the same time and you might have missed it.  The G5 isn't on the list, but as long as it's got the same network connectivity as the Pure it will work.

Haha.....I think we posted at the same time, again!

This one should work then?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR2ZFBI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sounds like it's my only good choice, if I don't find a decent price on another Pure, that is new.

Looking at the CDMA bands for the G5+, it seems to have the correct bands for USCC's network.  However, I cannot 100% confirm this, as I haven't heard of anyone actually using it on USCC.  I would trust the chart I linked from Moto itself, or search around the forums here and see if anyone has actually activated one.

1 minute ago, BoгИX said:

Looking at the CDMA bands for the G5+, it seems to have the correct bands for USCC's network.  However, I cannot 100% confirm this, as I haven't heard of anyone actually using it on USCC.  I would trust the chart I linked from Moto itself, or search around the forums here and see if anyone has actually activated one.

phalkon30, about a dozen posts back. or so, said his wife went from a G4 to a G5+. But I will look into it a bit more.

1 minute ago, soulweeper said:

phalkon30, about a dozen posts back. or so, said his wife went from a G4 to a G5+. But I will look into it a bit more.

Good eye!

Hey @phalkon30, can you confirm the Moto G5 Plus works on USCC?

12 hours ago, soulweeper said:

Haha.....I think we posted at the same time, again!

This one should work then?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MR2ZFBI/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Sounds like it's my only good choice, if I don't find a decent price on another Pure, that is new.

One other thought - Save yourself $50 and go with the 32GB version since the G5's are expandable with microSD cards.

5 hours ago, JohnB said:

One other thought - Save yourself $50 and go with the 32GB version since the G5's are expandable with microSD cards.

Yes, good idea. And, I don't need a lot of storage on my phone. But it says the 64GB version has 4GB of Ram, as opposed to 2GB, on the 32GB version, so maybe still worth the extra $50.

Edited by soulweeper

On 10/20/2017 at 2:54 PM, BoгИX said:

Good eye!

Hey @phalkon30, can you confirm the Moto G5 Plus works on USCC?

I'm not exactly sure what to look for, but if the Moto X4 is an unlocked phone, will it work on USCC?

https://www.motorola.com/us/products/moto-x-gen-4?utm_source=motoemail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ECOMM_NA_US_EN_PRODUCT_X4&utm_content=PRESALENONOWNERNONACTIVE&utm_term=buy_now_48_hour_banner&ceid=849685f2875bfc9bde3026dcc094a185e845723ae3c9d346a6fc38f52edd324a

Edited by soulweeper

Operating system

Android™ 7.1, Nougat

System architecture/Processor

Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 630 processor with 2.2 GHz Octa-core CPU and 650 MHz Adreno 508 GPU

Memory (RAM)

3 GB

Storage (ROM)

32 GB with microSD Card support (up to 2 TB)

Dimensions

148.35 x 73.4 x 7.99 mm (9.45 mm at camera bump)

Weight

163 g

Display

5.2” FHD (1080×1920)
424 PPI
LTPS IPS
Corning® Gorilla® Glass

Battery

All-day battery
3000mAh, Non-removable

Charging

15W TurboPower for 6 hours of power in 15 minutes

Water protection

IP68 Water Resistant*

Network bands (by model)

4G LTE (Cat11 DL, Cat5 UL)
CDMA / EVDO Rev A
UMTS / HSPA+
GSM / EDGE
2G: GSM band 2/3/5/8 CDMA BC 0/1/10
3G: WCDMA band 1/2/4/5/8
4G: FDD LTE band 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/13/17/20/25/26/28/66
TDD LTE band 38/41

SIM card

Single Nano SIM

Sensors

Fingerprint Reader
Gravity
Proximity
Accelerometer
Ambient Light
Magnetometer
Gyroscope
Sensor Hub

Wi-Fi

Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, 2.4GHz + 5GHz, Wi-Fi hotspot

Rear camera

12 MP Dual Autofocus Pixel sensor (f2.0, 1.4um)
8 MP ultra-wide angle with 120° field of view sensor (f2.2, 1.12um)
Color Correlated Temperature (CCT) dual LED flash
Phase Detection AutoFocus (PDAF)
Ultra-wide angle shot
Professional mode
Depth detection and depth effects
Selective Focus
Selective Black & White (beta)
Background Replacement (beta)
Spot Color
Landmark/Object Recognition
Scan barcodes/QR codes/Business cards
Panorama
Slo-motion video
Best shot

Front camera

16 MP (f2.0, 1um)
Selfie flash / light
4 MP adaptive low light mode§
Selfie panorama
Face filters
Beautification mode
Professional mode

Video capture

2160P/4K (30fps), 1080P (60fps), 720P (30fps), 480P (30fps)

Connectivity

USB Type-CTM Port, 3.5mm headphone jack

FM radio

Yes

Bluetooth® technology

Bluetooth® 4.2 BR/EDR + BLE (Bluetooth® 5.0 after Android O upgrade)

Speakers/microphones

Front-ported speaker
3-Mics

Video playback

720p (120fps), 1080p (60fps), 4K (30fps)

Location services

GPS, GLONASS

NFC

Yes

Colors

Super Black, Sterling Blue

moto mods

No

moto experiences

moto display, moto voice, moto actions, wireless sound system, moto key, one-button navigation Learn more

It should. The X4 is going to be compatible with Fi.

Things to look for:

3G : 850 MHz Cellular, Band 5 (1xRTT CDMA). 1900 MHz PCS, Band 2 (CDMA).

This means CDMA bands 2 and 5, 850MHz and 1900MHz, respectively.

4G : 700 MHz Lower A/B/C 2/4/5/12 (LTE). 1700/ 2100 MHz AWS, Band 1/3 (LTE).

This means 4G bands 1,2,3,4,5,12.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Keep in mind the X4 is a decidedly mid range phone, not upper-mid range like the Pure was.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk