Sign in to follow this  
ppsi

Best place to purchase a pixel or pixel 2?

My galaxy s4 has about soiled the Sealy. It's been randomly powering off for months and I've been dreading the idea of having to screw with getting a new phone. I've put it off this long because I wanted to wait for the new pixel. Now that it's out I am pretty sure I'll be buying one although I may also consider the older pixel. Seems like the old pixel is only $100.00 less than the 2 which isn't enough of a savings IMOPO. I'm pretty much going with this phone so that I can move to the FI project at some point. I'm OK with USC for now but I'm down to 3 phones on my plan and none in contract. Soon I'll be down to just two phones and this is when I'll look more closely at the fi deal. Whats the best place to buy (not over time/finance) this phone? I'm also curious if they all come with preloaded bloat? Seems like those purchased through cellular providers have a large amount of bloat so I'm wondering if they all do?

Thanks for any advice.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing :)

Don't buy it through Verizon as it will have a locked bootloader and some bloat.

If recent news with the nexus 6P return fiasco is any indication, get it through Google store or project fi to ensure the best support if you have any issues in the future. Project fi is offering with a Google Home mini for the same price as the Google store for what it's worth.

I'm also a convert from USCC to project fi, I totally recommend it! I'm on the same USCC network I always was, but now I have actual roaming, and it's cheaper. I don't see a reason to stick with uscc other than phone selection and maybe if you use a lot of data.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Originally read that all bootloader are locked like the original Pixel. The 2 I played with had no bloat. Assuming it's like the last model, when you activate it verizon pushed their app to it which is/was removable. I'm speculating on some details.

All Verizon sold pixels, 1&2 have locked boot loaders that cannot be unlocked. The Google store variants come with locked bootloader but can be unlocked. The apps are indeed installed when activated on verizon and can be uninstalled.

I can't see how the companies selling these phones can get away with locking the bootloader. If I buy a phone outright I'm buying a piece of hardware and I should be able to use it in any sys em that supports it. If I buy a Verizon pixel 2 and then decide to change carriers the phone won't be able to move with me?

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

4 minutes ago, ppsi said:

I can't see how the companies selling these phones can get away with locking the bootloader. If I buy a phone outright I'm buying a piece of hardware and I should be able to use it in any sys em that supports it. If I buy a Verizon pixel 2 and then decide to change carriers the phone won't be able to move with me?

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

You can take it with you/change carriers.   They're just talking about bootloader unlock.      

I stopped following the bootloader deal with Verizon but didn't they keep up with a work around for it?

The original pixel could be unlocked with the original firmware (7.1.0 I believe) prior to activation on Verizon's Network. After you insert the SIM card it automatically disabled the OEM unlock option permanently and you could not be unlocked after. Updating to 7.1.1 disabled it also. No workaround known currently.

Edited by Coolasice

I really wonder if you could remove the Verizon SIM card and Flash Factory firmware without putting a SIM card back in at the option would come back.

It makes sense that it would but I can also see a scenario where it doesn't because of some deal Verizon has with Google... BS.

I really wonder if you could remove the Verizon SIM card and Flash Factory firmware without putting a SIM card back in at the option would come back.

It makes sense that it would but I can also see a scenario where it doesn't because of some deal Verizon has with Google... BS.

Doesn't work... Have to unlock bootloader to flash firmware

Wow... So VZW locks the bootloader when it's activated. That is just pathetic.

Does that apply to Google purchased ones or VZW only ones? I imagine both, but just curious.

But you COULD unlock it prior to activation and it would stay that way, no?

Wow... So VZW locks the bootloader when it's activated. That is just pathetic.

Does that apply to Google purchased ones or VZW only ones? I imagine both, but just curious.

But you COULD unlock it prior to activation and it would stay that way, no?

Only the original pixels if they were not updated to 7.1.1 could be unlocked as long as they were not activated. The Google store units were not affected. Once unlocked they stayed unlocked until you relocked them and then they lost the option to be unlocked again.

Thank you for clarifying! Silly VZW, always throwing wrenches into our well oiled machines...

I'm still confused regarding the locked pixel 2. I'm getting the feeling that a pixel 2, whether a Verizon or Google fi version, cannot be moved to another carrier once activated on either one? So this phone is a single carrier phone?
Yet I see one post here that intimates this is not the case? (#6)

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

I'm still confused regarding the locked pixel 2. I'm getting the feeling that a pixel 2, whether a Verizon or Google fi version, cannot be moved to another carrier once activated on either one? So this phone is a single carrier phone?

Galaxy S4, Slimkat
If I wasn't married I'd quit fishing

No,. The pixel phones are not carrier locked. They can be used on any carrier. You can freely switch at any time. Bootloader locking just means they can't be rooted or use custom roms.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Bootloader locked not carrier locked.

OK - thanks for clearing that up for me. I had a feeling this was the case but didn't know how to best phrase the question without proving myself a bigger dumbass than I've already shown myself to be.

Hopefully a root method will come along. I think rooting might open some of the best options for saving battery. It sure did with this old S4 I'm using.

I suspect I'll get a hair one night this week and order one from Google. I'd like to first decide if I'm going to jump to fi because I'd like to order the phone and set up my account at the same time IF I decide to move my personal phone to Google. It's a lot of money for me but it seems that all the new phones are costing $500.00+ to purchase so I guess it will suck now or suck even more later when my current phone is totally inoperable.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

OK - thanks for clearing that up for me. I had a feeling this was the case but didn't know how to best phrase the question without proving myself a bigger dumbass than I've already shown myself to be.

Hopefully a root method will come along. I think rooting might open some of the best options for saving battery. It sure did with this old S4 I'm using.

I suspect I'll get a hair one night this week and order one from Google. I'd like to first decide if I'm going to jump to fi because I'd like to order the phone and set up my account at the same time IF I decide to move my personal phone to Google. It's a lot of money for me but it seems that all the new phones are costing $500.00+ to purchase so I guess it will suck now or suck even more later when my current phone is totally inoperable.

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

The nice thing about the pixel 2 is the esim for fi can be used along with another SIM from a different carrier and you can switch between them on the fly without swapping Sims.

Really? That's interesting but I imagine most carriers will charge some sort of fee if the SIM card is used. I don't know if VZN is using the SIM slot or the eSIM? My guess is they are using the SIM slot.

But it is not bootloader locked until a Verizon sim card is put in it.

That's the big key difference. You can root it and put a custom ROM on it all you want but the moment you put that Sim in it can no longer be done. Which...is crazy stupid imo.

2 hours ago, ppsi said:

Really? That's interesting but I imagine most carriers will charge some sort of fee if the SIM card is used. I don't know if VZN is using the SIM slot or the eSIM? My guess is they are using the SIM slot.

yes, the regular sim slot.  only carrier that uses the esim is FI.

1 hour ago, iR1O said:

But it is not bootloader locked until a Verizon sim card is put in it.

That's the big key difference. You can root it and put a custom ROM on it all you want but the moment you put that Sim in it can no longer be done. Which...is crazy stupid imo.

That was only for the original pixel/xl  with 7.1.0 sold by verizon.  If it was ever updated to 7.1.1 then the bootloader could not be unlocked.   the Google play store version can always be unlocked regardless....  In other words... just by it directly from google, better warranty/rma from them also, especially with the whole 6p/5x fiasco.

Edited by Coolasice

They just scanned the box bar code on mine with an iPad and it was activated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

On what network may I ask?

Galaxy S4, Slimkat

Verizon.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I got my pixel 2. The data transfer using the cables doesn't work. I think the OS on my S4 is too old. I'll try wifi file xfer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid to make the jump to the XL 2. I'm really concerned with the screen issues.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk