Sign in to follow this  
mrjenkins

Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Just wanted to start a thread discussing this newer device since nobody has talked about it here yet in the thread posts. I got one on October 3rd and I have to say I am pretty impressed with it. Even without having it rooted or with xposed it exceeded my expectations. Even TouchWiz seems smoother and less glitchy than I remember it to be. I'm still not used to the bombardment of ads but I will say that this device does have root already for the snapdragon and according to the dev on xda who posted the root method it will not trip the Knox fuse. I briefly caught the xda post on this root method while I was at work so I don't know a lot of specifics about it other than it is a bit of a process in which I plan to do more looking into this weekend.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

On a side note the Bixby button below the volume keys is a bit annoying but there is a Bixby button remapper app in the play store that allows you to change it to something more useful while completely disabling Bixby in the process. Also the edge tools that pop up from swiping from the far right to the left have a habit of getting unintentionally opened up quite often but that feature can be turned off easily enough. As far as rooting goes I'm not quite ready to take that plunge just yet. Just like the S8 when you root, the battery won't charge above 80%. This device is still too new for me to want to sacrifice that much battery life and maybe at some point there could possibly be a workaround for that.

So I got the Otterbox defender case for this device and while it is very protective the belt clip that came with it is not. In fact the only times it has hit the floor is when it fell out of the belt clip so the case is good but the clip is not. I also purchased the Bodyguardz pure arc screen protector because it has a good warranty on it and the OB case doesn't have one built in. It does its job but it looks terrible with the bubbles and dirt gets underneath it. The manufacturer says it only adheres around the edges which could be the problem possibly but they are working on a more solid adhesion. Also the screen seems to be less sensitive sometimes with this on it as I have found myself tapping simple things multiple times in some cases. Anyway just wanted to share some info. Peace and be merry

You will never find a good screen protector. The curved edges make it nearly impossible. Believe me, I've had my S7 Edge for almost a year and I gave up trying them altogether and just go naked. So far, so good.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

You will never find a good screen protector. The curved edges make it nearly impossible. Believe me, I've had my S7 Edge for almost a year and I gave up trying them altogether and just go naked. So far, so good. 

Yeah what is the deal with the curved edges? I never saw any benefit and I still don't. Just makes the screen more susceptible to being broken IMO. I would say it is gorilla glass because my Note 3 had it and yes it does break and I can post pics to prove it even with a protective case on it. At least with the newer devices it doesn't go all the way down one side or another. 5ce5566baaae8834acd5336ee0f9cecd.jpg 

a24db267c1c80395c0b21ca4e81939e3.jpg

This phone is 4 years old. Aside from the screen crack it looks great and I probably would still be using it now.

Probably the one thing Apple will smartly not copy from Samsung. I only got the Edge because of the size difference, screen and battery, from the regular S7. Wish I hadn't, but I did a 7 day trade on a V20 when it came out, so I was kinda stuck with it. I'm going to have it paid off soon and I'm ordering a Pixel 2XL, once they ensure its issues are fixed.