soulweeper

Moto X4 compatible with U.S. Cellular

According to this:  https://www.motorola.com/us/carrier-compatibility - I'd say probably not.  Which is odd since the X4 is also supposed to have a version that supports Google Fi and USC supports that....

EDIT:  That said, you may be able to get them to activate it as a Moto X Pure, but it would be an expensive experiment. 

Edited by JohnB

We are in Project Fi and my wife got her x4 yesterday. It's running on USCC. Here is the stats from the last 20 hours.download_20171101_175031.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, stanley said:

We are in Project Fi and my wife got her x4 yesterday. It's running on USCC. Here is the stats from the last 20 hours.download_20171101_175031.jpg

Mind if I ask what Project Fi is?

1 minute ago, stanley said:

Google's cell service. Basically uses Sprint, T-Mobile, and USCC's networks. https://fi.google.com

So this is something you have to sign up for? I'm ok with that, if it works, but ideally, I was hoping I can simply activate the X4 with USCC.

I was really just backing up@johnb. We use it on USCC through Fi indicating that it should be possible to use an Android One version of an X4 on USCC...if they would activate it. I can't guarantee they would activate it, just saying that it's hardware works.

32 minutes ago, stanley said:

I was really just backing up@johnb. We use it on USCC through Fi indicating that it should be possible to use an Android One version of an X4 on USCC...if they would activate it. I can't guarantee they would activate it, just saying that it's hardware works.

Gotcha. I went back and looked at his reply again, and I may have missed his edit, where he said might be able to activate it as a Pure. Interesting, and worth keeping an eye on, for sure. And I appreciate the input from both of you. :)

So if I'm following this correctly, I have to have an Android one version of the X4, and sign up with Project FI, essentially, correct?

Well, its not really that simple.  If you want to stay a US Cellular customer, and you want a moto x4, you kind of have to take a gamble and get an Android One version and try to activate it as a Moto X Pure or something... like what @JohnB said.  But that is a gamble.   If you don't care about staying a direct USCC customer, you could look at porting your number over to Google Project FI.  At that point you are a Project Fi customer and the Moto X4 will work.  It will use either Sprint, T-Mobile, or USCC (which ever carrier network has the best signal at any given time).  The pricing and billing will be different and you will give up your USCC plan.    Its not like it's an add-on service.

Stanley has a great summary of project Fi. It is a cellular carrier, and it's limited to Google phones and the moto x4 right now.

If you use one of those phones.. I think it's a much better service. For my data usage it's cheaper, has features like visual voicemail and wifi calling, and the other 2 networks fill in the dead/roaming areas well

But it is very limited in which phones you can use! Keep that in mind if you ever want to switch phones to a non pixel or nexus phone

14 hours ago, stanley said:

Well, its not really that simple.  If you want to stay a US Cellular customer, and you want a moto x4, you kind of have to take a gamble and get an Android One version and try to activate it as a Moto X Pure or something... like what @JohnB said.  But that is a gamble.   If you don't care about staying a direct USCC customer, you could look at porting your number over to Google Project FI.  At that point you are a Project Fi customer and the Moto X4 will work.  It will use either Sprint, T-Mobile, or USCC (which ever carrier network has the best signal at any given time).  The pricing and billing will be different and you will give up your USCC plan.    Its not like it's an add-on service.

Thank you for that explanation. I will definitely look into it. I'm thinking more for my wife, as she does not like her bloatware filled S7, and would rather have a Motorola anything. We've always been loyal to Motorola, but the Pure was just too big for her, mostly due to her carpal tunnel. We're on a family plan, but I will look into that. We don't use a ton of data, so it might be a viable option. I'm having a speaker issue with my Pure right now, that isn't a huge issue, but have my eyes open for a decent deal on another Pure. I love that phone. I'd consider the X4 myself, if it's a smart move to go with the Project Fi. :)

14 hours ago, phalkon30 said:

Stanley has a great summary of project Fi. It is a cellular carrier, and it's limited to Google phones and the moto x4 right now.

If you use one of those phones.. I think it's a much better service. For my data usage it's cheaper, has features like visual voicemail and wifi calling, and the other 2 networks fill in the dead/roaming areas well

But it is very limited in which phones you can use! Keep that in mind if you ever want to switch phones to a non pixel or nexus phone

And thank you as well. Going to research all this!

According to a conversation I had recently with US Cellular Tech support, they need to test the X4 before they will allow it to be activated.  Although Google FI uses their towers, the signal is processed (voice, data, and messaging) by Google servers and not by US Cellular servers.  Apparently they have had issues with changes being made in phone software which caused problems with this processing on their own servers.  (That probably also explains why software updates are slower with android phones, as the carriers have to ensure that the changes won't mess up their data/voice/messaging processing).

If FI had better coverage in the areas I need, I would consider using it.  But, for example, at my home in Maine, FI only has 2G coverage, even though USC has 3G and 4GLTE  coverage.

Like someone else, I don't like the size of the Z2Pure.  But my MotoX2 is getting old, and has limited memory.  I'm hoping they will test and approve the X4 sometime soon.

3 hours ago, ronrosen said:

According to a conversation I had recently with US Cellular Tech support, they need to test the X4 before they will allow it to be activated.  Although Google FI uses their towers, the signal is processed (voice, data, and messaging) by Google servers and not by US Cellular servers.  Apparently they have had issues with changes being made in phone software which caused problems with this processing on their own servers.  (That probably also explains why software updates are slower with android phones, as the carriers have to ensure that the changes won't mess up their data/voice/messaging processing).

If FI had better coverage in the areas I need, I would consider using it.  But, for example, at my home in Maine, FI only has 2G coverage, even though USC has 3G and 4GLTE  coverage.

Like someone else, I don't like the size of the Z2Pure.  But my MotoX2 is getting old, and has limited memory.  I'm hoping they will test and approve the X4 sometime soon.

Interesting. Good info. Thanks.

IO still may just buy another Pure. They're around here and there, brand new. I really like the simplicity of it, and have a much greater appreciation after seeing the crap that my wife has on her Samsung S7. We've been Motorola fans since our first cell phones, for a reason. It's my wife's first non Motorola phone, and she doesn't like it at all.

I have a fi SIM and it seems to favor TMobile and Sprint over us cellular at my place even though TMobile and Sprint are roaming at my home. I can force switch to us cell for a bit but it will eventually switch back to TMobile or Sprint. That's probably why you only saw 2g service. (I live in northern Maine btw)

Hey Stanley,  How did you get to the stats screen that shows the cellular networks usage?  I'm new to proj fi, and have been trying to find this info.  Thanks!

I have the purchased version of FiSwitch. An app from the play store.

I have the purchased version of FiSwitch. An app from the play store.

I use this as well, with a toggle in the notification shade to quickly switch when one network isn't responding well.