Sign in to follow this  
ppsi

New pixel 2 but I want my old phone look?

I got a new pixel 2 and I'm not liking the new versions of the apps. Ideally I'd like to have this new phone look and operate just like the old Samsung galaxy S4 that I replaced.

Sorry for such a newbie question. Any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Install a third party launcher like Nova or something. There may be TouchWiz like roms out there, but it's not a definite.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

^ that's about your best bet.

They have very fundamental differences in the way they look and feel, but he sensually the operation of it is the same.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OK. I installed nova and got the 7null icons and wallpaper I previously had. I'm also going to try and install the older versions of the most used apps.
Thanks

OK. I installed nova and got the 7null icons and wallpaper I previously had. I'm also going to try and install the older versions of the most used apps.
Thanks

Which apps are you talking about? A lot has changed since the S4, and it's either impossible or highly ill-advised to try to install such old system apps onto your new system

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Which apps are you talking about? A lot has changed since the S4, and it's either impossible or highly ill-advised to try to install such old system apps onto your new system

Thanks for the warning. I would think an older version of an app would not install if it was not compatible with a new OS??

Thanks for the warning. I would think an older version of an app would not install if it was not compatible with a new OS?

Depends. Which apps are you wanting to use older versions of?

I would like to be able to use the "old style" versions of:

Tapatalk

Instagram

Swiftkey

Phone

These are the apps I use most often. I already moved to the Nova launcher so I could get the same exact look as my old S4.

Thanks

You can find the older versions on Aptoide, just be sure their marked as trusted stores.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Phone is going to be tough, it's a system priv-app and also has special permissions.

You can use a file browser on your old S4 and look in /data/app and copy the apks to your new phone, then simply click the APK file to install it (be sure to allow installing apps from unknown sources)

Phone is going to be tough, it's a system priv-app and also has special permissions.

You can use a file browser on your old S4 and look in /data/app and copy the apks to your new phone, then simply click the APK file to install it (be sure to allow installing apps from unknown sources)

Thanks. I'm slowly "customizing" the phone. I installed 8sms but couldn't get it to send pictures. I think it's something to do with one or more mms settings and I don't have the nerve to change these right now. I also wanted some ringtones on this new phone and was able to get them copied but can't get them to appear in the ringtones selection. I got my call ring tone but others like messages and voice mails don't show in the available selections. I'll muddle through until the interest dies. I've found that using wifi file transfer is a good way to transfer files between the two phones.
I'm also realizing that Google loves being in other people's business. I don't need my crap synced between devices and I hate having to opt out of the Myriad of choices in Chrome. I thought I'd like the chrome browser but it's just way too intrusive IMO. I also use YouTube a lot and can't stand the ads and the suggested videos. I didn't have this problem with my old phone. I imagine this is all part of getting a new phone and "training" the apps and/or sites to my preference.
Thanks for the help.

Thanks. I'm slowly "customizing" the phone. I installed 8sms but couldn't get it to send pictures. I think it's something to do with one or more mms settings and I don't have the nerve to change these right now. I also wanted some ringtones on this new phone and was able to get them copied but can't get them to appear in the ringtones selection. I got my call ring tone but others like messages and voice mails don't show in the available selections. I'll muddle through until the interest dies. I've found that using wifi file transfer is a good way to transfer files between the two phones.
I'm also realizing that Google loves being in other people's business. I don't need my crap synced between devices and I hate having to opt out of the Myriad of choices in Chrome. I thought I'd like the chrome browser but it's just way too intrusive IMO. I also use YouTube a lot and can't stand the ads and the suggested videos. I didn't have this problem with my old phone. I imagine this is all part of getting a new phone and "training" the apps and/or sites to my preference.
Thanks for the help.

If ringtones are not showing up after copying them to their appropriate folders,. Go in app manager and force close "media manager" system app. When you go back to choose your ringtones it will cause the manager to rescan for new media. If MMS isn't working there is usually a way to change the settings in the MMS app to switch from legacy to system or vice versa (I know Textra has this option).

I prefer chrome syncing all my stuff across devices.. that way I don't have to worry about bookmarks and site passwords across devices. I can easily do everything on my phone and seemlessly go to my laptop and get the same bookmarks and history.

If ringtones are not showing up after copying them to their appropriate folders,. Go in app manager and force close "media manager" system app. When you go back to choose your ringtones it will cause the manager to rescan for new media. If MMS isn't working there is usually a way to change the settings in the MMS app to switch from legacy to system or vice versa (I know Textra has this option).

I prefer chrome syncing all my stuff across devices.. that way I don't have to worry about bookmarks and site passwords across devices. I can easily do everything on my phone and seemlessly go to my laptop and get the same bookmarks and history.

I don't see anything remotely resembling app or media manager?

I can certainly understand folks liking the way Google can accommodate synching of various devices. More people probably like this than don't if I had to guess. It's just a personal thing that I don't want this convenience.

I don't see anything remotely resembling app or media manager?

I can certainly understand folks liking the way Google can accommodate synching of various devices. More people probably like this than don't if I had to guess. It's just a personal thing that I don't want this convenience.

Go to Settings -> Sound. Click Advanced. That's where you set Notification sounds.

If you download audio files you would like to use as Ringtone or Notification sounds, you can click "+ Add Ringtone", then select your file manager app (I use Solid Explorer), navigate to whatever audio file you want, and add it to the list. Then select it.

This audio file will now be available in all of the sound selection lists systemwide.

Go to Settings -> Sound. Click Advanced. That's where you set Notification sounds.

If you download audio files you would like to use as Ringtone or Notification sounds, you can click "+ Add Ringtone", then select your file manager app (I use Solid Explorer), navigate to whatever audio file you want, and add it to the list. Then select it.

This audio file will now be available in all of the sound selection lists systemwide.

His way is easier^^^

On 11/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, ppsi said:

Thanks for the help.

Actually, if you CAN get the old version of YouTube to work on your new phone, I'd go for it...  The new version actually breaks up long YouTube videos to show you ads MID video, like the desktop version now does.

I don't know. I may look into it but it seems like Google is doing a good job of making sure that ads are going to be seen. I've been trying to find a way to get rid of those ads that make you wait 5 seconds and it's a dead end so far. I've actually never had good luck with the YouTube app so I always went through a browser. Right now I'm using Chrome but I will likely be looking for another browser too.

Thanks

There are many modded YouTube apps that block the ads. PM for more info, we'll take the conversation off this website because this isn't the place for those discussions.

I personally subscribe to YouTube Red. I have a family subscription: 5 accounts, ad free YouTube, and unlimited Google Play Music for everybody for $15/month.

This route may not be for everybody, but I like Play Music more than Pandora and since I don't have cable I use YouTube for a lot of my living room entertainment. Definitely worth it for me and my family.