silbaco

T-Mobile Coming to Iowa

For those who don't know, T-Mobile is getting close to finishing up their acquisition of the remaining stake in iWireless.

http://marketrealist.com/2017/10/t-mobile-accelerating-geographic-expansion/

They are supposedly planning on building up the network and making T-Mobile plans available early next year. I've been a US Cellular customer for well over a decade, but I am seriously considering my options. Despite supposedly having the best 4G network, there are a ton of places here in Eastern Iowa that are 3G only. In fact I spend about half my time on 3G and it's mighty slow. If T-Mobile can truly turn iWireless around like they have with the rest of the network, I can't see it would be much worse. T-Mobile has some pretty competitive plans too and they have a ton of MVNOs. And Project Fi would use both US Cellular and iWireless/T-Mobile.

Anyone else considering jumping ship? I'd like to stay but the network seriously needs some love around here.

Edited by silbaco

I'm in the Quad Cities area. I was thinking of jumping to Fi, and then USC came out with the Unlimited plan that looked good for me. Converted plans and added lines for my kids within the first week it was available. Few weeks later they started the 1.5Mbps cap on those plans. I'm pissed about the whole thing. Like others, I feel like I was mislead. Now, they state in the fine print that it is capped.

I've looked at moving to Big Red now that they are at the same price for unlimited. Haven't pulled the trigger. Had them before USC and had drop spots. That was 13 years ago though. Ironically, starting to get those on USC.

Still interested in Fi. Would probably go that route if I didn't have the kids that are now hooked on unlimited data. Would love to see a Fi unlimited option.

TLDR: yes, I'm also considering jumping after 10+ years. Not sure where.

I recently learned this news too, I tried running T-Mobile in my USC Note 5 for a day. I was on partner carrier ( iWireless) the whole time. So I figured by this time next year T-Mobile will be a great IA option. I think they are going to build up the 600Mhz in Iowa!!!

5 hours ago, martha3065 said:

I'm in the Quad Cities area. I was thinking of jumping to Fi, and then USC came out with the Unlimited plan that looked good for me. Converted plans and added lines for my kids within the first week it was available. Few weeks later they started the 1.5Mbps cap on those plans. I'm pissed about the whole thing. Like others, I feel like I was mislead. Now, they state in the fine print that it is capped.

I've looked at moving to Big Red now that they are at the same price for unlimited. Haven't pulled the trigger. Had them before USC and had drop spots. That was 13 years ago though. Ironically, starting to get those on USC.

Still interested in Fi. Would probably go that route if I didn't have the kids that are now hooked on unlimited data. Would love to see a Fi unlimited option.

TLDR: yes, I'm also considering jumping after 10+ years. Not sure where.

I'm kind've trapped with USC at the moment because I'm on the grandfathered unlimited from a few years ago...no throttling.  You can't really find that anywhere, unless Verizon still has the "pay us an extra monthly fee and we'll remove the caps on your unlimited data" plan.

I still wish I could do FI, but none of the networks they partner with have native service in Northern Wisconsin, so I might as well stick with USC and get 3G roaming vs FI's 2G roaming.

I'm kind've trapped with USC at the moment because I'm on the grandfathered unlimited from a few years ago...no throttling.  You can't really find that anywhere, unless Verizon still has the "pay us an extra monthly fee and we'll remove the caps on your unlimited data" plan.

I still wish I could do FI, but none of the networks they partner with have native service in Northern Wisconsin, so I might as well stick with USC and get 3G roaming vs FI's 2G roaming.
I go up to Ashland and iron river often, and I'm much happier on FI than I was on USCC, for what it's worth. I agree the 2G speeds suck, but I'm connected more often than I used to be and can actually make calls and send texts

But if you're liking unlimited, FI probably isn't for you anyway :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, phalkon30 said:

I go up to Ashland and iron river often, and I'm much happier on FI than I was on USCC, for what it's worth. I agree the 2G speeds suck, but I'm connected more often than I used to be and can actually make calls and send texts

But if you're liking unlimited, FI probably isn't for you anyway :)

I've never had a problem with voice signals in the Crivitz/Lakewood area.  Data is incredibly inconsistent, though.  Despite it being a 4-bar area for CellCom.  I'd be happy with a full speed 2G connection...  8-10KBps is plenty for the occasional email, web lookup, etc.   Unfortunately, most of the time my indicator says 3G, my network ID app says I'm really connected at 1x.  Gives me flashbacks to my Sprint days!

I like the unlimited just because I like that I still have the unthrottled plan.   I typically only use 4-6GB in a month.  If FI could compete with Verizon, at least in 3G coverage, I think I'd jump at it.  (Of course, I saw an article that says Verizon is starting to kick people off who use too much "extended network" data in the great plains states...

I've never had luck on either carrier in Crivitz (well, a few miles north of it anyway). Can't remember what speeds were in town. Voice has gotten, better speeds have not

On 11/13/2017 at 9:50 PM, phalkon30 said:

I've never had luck on either carrier in Crivitz (well, a few miles north of it anyway). Can't remember what speeds were in town. Voice has gotten, better speeds have not

I used to have good data speeds when I was on Sprint with my Epic 4G while using Roam Control, but I think that was a combination of an agreement with Alltel and that the Epic 4G seemed to roam better on 1900MHz than my S6 does.   Cellcom currently has an agreement with Verizon, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that magically any other network connecting to their towers is throttled.