Sign in to follow this  
Noobody

Hardware Problems Worth Fixing?

So it started with my navigation bar ghost-tapping like crazy. I finally figured out it wasn't an uncommon problem with the phone. Of course, I had resold the one I bought from BB last Black Friday to save money on one from Swappa. It'd still be under warranty had I kept it. I took the back off, and started taking the screws out with a T4 screwdriver, because another person said using the T3 recommended by iFixit stripped the screws. The T4 actually stripped 5 of them, and the set I bought (to again save money) didn't have a T3. I also ended up taking out the screw for the side buttons, which wasn't necessary to access digitizer connectors. I wanted to see if taping over them with electrical tape would solve the issue, like it did for someone else. I somehow managed to not lose two of the four tiny springs for the buttons. But when I went to put them back in, one jumped out. The buttons work without em, but it still bugs me. I decided to just see if insurance would cover it. They said they were sending a "better" phone, valued at "$700", since they don't make X Pures anymore. Deductible would be $99. Turns out it was the G4 Play. So I decided not to go that route. It's gonna cost $100 to fix, but Swappa has em for $120+. I wouldn't wanna get one from there again, without the extended warranty - $50. The MXPE doesn't get much support, and the only other good Androids USCC will activate are too costly/outdated. Trying to save $35 is gonna cost $100+. I know I've only got 2 options, it's not a ridiculous amount of money, and it's mostly my fault. Just had to vent and ask what someone else would do.

Have you considered the Nexus 6P? You can get one on swappa for $200,and if the battery fails it sounds like you have the technical ability to replace it.

It's a great phone, and I'm pretty sure you'll have no issue activating it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I've been keeping my eye on those. Wanted to get one last year, instead of this one, but it didn't seem like much of an upgrade for the price. The price is a lot more appealing now. I still worry about investing more than I have to in an older phone - even though it's heavily supported yet. I'm mainly looking to cut my losses. Whether I keep or sell this phone, I'll have to get it repaired, right? $130 doesn't seem worth it at all, especially when many say replacement screens are faulty. I'm really hoping taping over the connectors or reseating em will solve it, but I doubt I'll be that lucky. I know you can't sell one in this condition on Swappa, but maybe someone would pay $100 for it elsewhere? I rely so much on the navbar, but if I had to, I could use an alternative. If it starts rapidly ghost-tapping again, though, the phone is unusable.

Edited by Noobody

I've been keeping my eye on those. Wanted to get one last year, instead of this one, but it didn't seem like much of an upgrade for the price. The price is a lot more appealing now. I still worry about investing more than I have to in an older phone - even though it's heavily supported yet. I'm mainly looking to cut my losses. Whether I keep or sell this phone, I'll have to get it repaired, right? $130 doesn't seem worth it at all, especially when many say replacement screens are faulty. I'm really hoping taping over the connectors or reseating em will solve it, but I doubt I'll be that lucky. I know you can't sell one in this condition on Swappa, but maybe someone would pay $100 for it elsewhere? I rely so much on the navbar, but if I had to, I could use an alternative. If it starts rapidly ghost-tapping again, though, the phone is unusable.
I would steer clear of the 6p's and 5x's... they are known for bootloops and battery issues. Mine is doing ok, but it does have the early shutdown issue if it gets cold.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk