brianinmaine

Phone to buy for ~$150-$200?

I have a few Galaxy S5s in my family, and now another son wants a phone. He's not sure what to even look at, I love the S5s but he wants a step up from there. I thought the LG G5 looked good, but then there is almost no discussion of that phone, so I'm assuming it's not good? Any other suggestions? I usually buy off ebay, had pretty good luck so far. Not much money to spend on this, so anything over $200 is too much!

Since I moved to smart phones I had nothing but Samsung. Decided to give the LG G5 a try, moving from an S5. I was reluctant and not sure I'd like it, but wanted something new and didn't want to spend the coin on a S8.

On my Sammys, I had rooted and custom ROMs. Haven't done any of that on the G5. I like it a lot. I know there are better phones, but it does everything I need. I wouldn't be affraid of it if I were you. Had it about 9 months now and no issues, with the exception of broken camera lens. My wife and I both cracked ours within a week of each other. Both have protective cases.

Great info - Thanks so much! I wonder if the camera lens is a very common problem? I'll try to find more info on that for sure. My sons not interested in root or anything (weird, right?) but anyway he does really want a good camera on the phone.

EDIT: it does seem to be pretty common just doing a search on "LG G5 camera glass problem" brings the issue to light, but it also seems pretty easy to fix? Just pry off the old one and stick on the new for about $5 or so on ebay/amazon/aliexpress. Search directions on youtube.

Any other advice is most welcome, please?!

Edited by brianinmaine

Used Nexus 6P is under $200, new battery (you'll likely need it at some point) is $15. Great camera, great phone, works on USCC

Moto G4 is nice too, but I couldn't find a reliable battery replacement when my wife's failed

My S5 is still going strong as a wifi toy, good luck finding something that bullet proof in your price range unfortunately

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edit: should mention there is a chance of bootloops with the 6P... It's a risk I was willing to take

I have a Note 4 that's in excellent shape. Not sure if your interested or not. I liked it more than the S7 Edge I have now; at least I could install different roms.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the ideas - my son does really like the G5 and he doesn't want to root or try any other roms. I did check out the Nexus and Moto G4 and the Note 4, all great ideas!

Now off to find the best deal - as little damage as possible for the best price.

thanks again!

Wasn't it determined the G5 plus doesn't work on USC?

doo-doo my bad, I think I even commented in that thread!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk