Sign in to follow this  
Fallstar

Question about Google Fi

I'm considering switching to Fi later this year, after the new Pixels launch. For those here that have it...when it hooks to the US Cellular network, is connectivity stable and reasonably fast?

Thanks in advance! =)

I'm considering switching to Fi later this year, after the new Pixels launch. For those here that have it...when it hooks to the US Cellular network, is connectivity stable and reasonably fast?
Thanks in advance! =)
I joined fi when the first pixel came out. Over a year later I've had no issues at all on uscc network. I'm currently using the pixel 2. I do notice when I'm home where a uscc is less than a mile away, it doesn't switch back from T-Mobile. It only happens occasionally. I can do it manually with an app I have called fi switch. I usually don't bother because my WiFi is really strong at home. My average bill is $30 a month. I rarely use my phone at work other than calls or texting, since I have a work laptop at my disposal. Most everywhere I go I'm connected to WiFi.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

On 2/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, Fallstar said:

Thanks in advance! =)

I am also on Fi, and I love it.  I joined after USCC became a network option, and now I have the same service as I did with USCC, plus I have Sprint in most areas where I used to be roaming (or had very poor connection in rural areas) on USCC, plus T-Mobile which is faster than Sprint if I'm in a big city.  It's really pretty perfect.  My bill is about $35-40/month max, sometimes even under $25 if I don't use data very much -- one month my bill was $20.50!

I get the same speeds on USCC's network through Project Fi as I did when I had USCC's service.  Sprint and T-Mo are also zippy.  

I wouldn't recommend Fi for anyone who uses more than 4 or 5GB per month, as this would cost $60 or $70, respectively.  But if your data usage is like mine, 1-2GB/month on average, and you have access to WiFi most of the time, then it's definitely worth it.

Totally agree with above. I'm on FI, use the fi switch app when it gets a stuck on sprint, and love the service.

At least in Wisconsin, it's like being on uscc but cheaper and actually has roaming. My bills are in the 30 dollars range as well

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks SO much for your input guys!  I was a little worried since I'm in the middle of US Cellular country (Pacific Northwest boonies, east of Cascades). I get good signal at home, but doesn't matter because I'm connected to my wifi, but at work there's no wifi, but excellent USCC signal.  Also, when I travel, it's usually to a large city, where I end up roaming, like last week in Vegas.

I faithfully follow the TWiT network, and every Tuesday evening I watch their "All About Android" podcast live stream. The latest show mentioned an app that is best used with project fi...it might be the same one you all mentioned. I'll check it out for sure.  Now I just need to wait and see what the next Pixel phones will be. can't wait! =D

p.s. wasn't there a way to +1 someone's reputation?

Thanks SO much for your input guys!  I was a little worried since I'm in the middle of US Cellular country (Pacific Northwest boonies, east of Cascades). I get good signal at home, but doesn't matter because I'm connected to my wifi, but at work there's no wifi, but excellent USCC signal.  Also, when I travel, it's usually to a large city, where I end up roaming, like last week in Vegas.
I faithfully follow the TWiT network, and every Tuesday evening I watch their "All About Android" podcast live stream. The latest show mentioned an app that is best used with project fi...it might be the same one you all mentioned. I'll check it out for sure.  Now I just need to wait and see what the next Pixel phones will be. can't wait! =D

p.s. wasn't there a way to +1 someone's reputation?
Project Fi works very well in Vegas ;)

And yeah, there was a way to like posts on here. Now you can only do it if you use Tapatalk, it's somehow missing from the web version.

I bet Adam took it with him...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if the T-mobile acquisition of I-wireless is complete yet? I wonder if/when that's done if you'll be able to port 319 numbers over to Fi