Sign in to follow this  
ppsi

*228 to activate a second (backup) iPhone

Question

Is there anything else I need to do to get a backup iphone activated. My wife has two iPhone 5's. One is a plain and one is a 5s.. She wants to deactivate the 5s and put the 5 back on. Both are us cellular phones. Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4 answers to this question

You have to call US Cellular or go in to a store to provide them with the device's IMEI/MEID first, you can't just swap the SIM and do *228.  They have to register the IMEI on their system along with the SIM ID number before a *228 will work.

OK thanks. Sorry for the additional question but these two phones already have separate Sim cards installed. The one I'd like to put back on line was being used up until a week ago. I needed to put in a new battery so my wife got another iPhone 5,this one being a 5s,from her sister. She brought it to a US cellular store and had it activated. She thought she would just keep using it but she says the speaker is bad AND there was stuff like music and pintrest that didn't get moved over so she wants the old one back. I changed the battery and it works fine. Does the fact that they have separate Sims matter?
Thank you.

You have to call US Cellular or go in to a store to provide them with the device's IMEI/MEID first, you can't just swap the SIM and do *228.  They have to register the IMEI on their system along with the SIM ID number before a *228 will work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You will still have to call and have it re-enabled on the account. They may or may not still have the IMEI number on file, so be prepared to provide it again.

You don't have to switch the SIM cards, but they will need the SIM card ID number along with the IMEI. The SIM number is printed on the card, and also (on Android at least) found in the About Phone section near the IMEI.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk